Dealing with a student who is being verbally aggressive and/or physically violent can be frightening. Always call for help (contact security on 9385 6666) if you or others are in imminent danger.
The following levels of response correspond to the degree of hostility present in the student. If you feel that a situation is becoming potentially more violent, consider higher levels of intervention.
- Diffusing the Situation
- Be aware of your feelings
- Stay as calm as you can
- Show empathy and concern
- Avoid contradicting the student or insisting you’re right
- Be direct, set limits, and don’t tolerate abuse
- Get assistance
- Tell the student “let me see if I can find someone who can help”
- Talk about your concerns with your supervisor or with peers
- Have a plan in place for times when you feel threatened and need others to assist
- Get to a safe location
- Call Security on 9385 6666 and state "Personal Threat", or get someone else to.
- Retreat to locked office or other safe place while waiting